First it was the heat, then it was the wind. In either case, I have been forced to stay away from the beach the last couple of weekends. And that has had its toll on me.
Finally last Sunday, I thought, what the heck, since we’re staying at home, let’s make something out of it.
My pizza recipe is one quarter memory (Giorgia my sicilian friend taught me how to do it back in the student days) -one half instinct-and one quarter asking my dad. (he is after all a capable bread maker, among other things, that is).
For the sauce I used Jamie Oliver’s Red Onion and Rosemary – made with sweet red onions, fragrant rosemary and a hint of chilli.
As for the toppings, as you can see below, my pizza was double trouble. Half ham-ventricina (a type of mildly spicy sausage) -2 types of yellow cheeze (mild and more spicy) – green peppers and baycon. And half mushrooms, chicken, olives, sundried tomatoes, red/orange/green peppers.
for a decent pizza recipe, you can check:
My choice (as they offer a wide array of versions) would have to be the
Sicilian Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water (105F)
- 4 cups all−purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 pkgs. active dry yeast
Step by Step Procedure
- Combine yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and water in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. Allowrise for 15 minutes. Stir to deflate.
- Add 2 cups of remaining flour with salt, 1 cup cool tap water, and oil. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Mix in remaining flour.
- Knead 15 minutes on a floured surface (10 minutes in a machine) until smooth.
- Place dough in bowl dusted with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled size (1 to 2 hours).
- Punch dough down and put in ziploc bag in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator when ready to shape into crust.
- Punch down dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface.
- Lightly oil (olive) a 17 1/2″ X 11 1/2″ X 3/4″ pan. Place dough in pan and push to stretch evenly leaving a lip up against sides of pan. Let rest for 10−15 minutes.
- Spread sauce over crust and top with cheese and place desired toppings.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.